Friday, October 16, 2009

Wide awake in the Kingdom of Thailand

In room 2510 of the D&D Inn, the air conditioner is off on purpose, making the temperature damp and perfect for getting next to a lady. Unfortunately mine is still sound asleep. It's not even 7AM yet and I'd be crazy to wake her up for anything less than an inbound tsunami. As I write this I think of my buddy, Matty Munro. I know he'll be proud of the early morning rebel I've turned into since this whole adventure began. I don't sleep much more than 5 or 6 hours a night and so far I've suffered no negative effects.
The D&D Inn is located in the heart of Khao San Road, which is more famously known as the backpacker's Mecca of the world. After staying the weekend with Martin and Tik, our first friends in Bangkok, we arrive here with plans to stay only one night, then catch the cheapest bus ride we can find to Northern Thailand. But after only being here an hour, we know we have to stay longer. There's just too much beautiful madness going on in all directions and it would be some sort of blasphemy to leave this living landmark without seeing all that it has to offer. I've never witnessed so much internationalism before; thousands of Nomads from all over the globe, coming together on one long stretch of road, where food and drink and adequate boarding are cheap, and anything you can think of can be found for the right price. It's one of those places straight outta the movies. In fact Leo Dicaprio was here in "The Beach."
The cost of a room with AC, here at this particular Hotel is 750 Baht, which works out to be around 23 bucks n' change. This includes an amazing breakfast buffet and access to the pool on the roof. " The best pool on the strip!" according to Israel Bill, a returning Khao San Road Veteran of six years.
On the day we rolled up here, it rained off n' on and when it finally stopped to let the sun out, all walks of life revealed themselves on the rooftop to swim and tan. That's where we met Billy, amongst a heap of others. It wasnt' much of a guessing game to figure out where everyone was from. The Americans were loud, the Europeans were half naked, the English were English and we were drinking beer and lauging, wondering if they could pinpoint us. We spied Billy discreetly sniffing cocaine off the back of his hand before he joined us in the pool. Pretty nice guy though.

The days are going by slowly, but everything else is changing fast. I'm learning how far the money can go here, as well as the possibiltiy of other jobs aside from teaching. At this point, a liberating realization has begun to set in and it feels like the ultimate summer vacation. For the first time since I was just a kid, I've got no pressure of any kind on me. No deadlines. Nobody to answer to. No worries. Just the everyday joy of my traveling companion, the thrill of new environments and the love of writing about everything. I know already it's going to be hard to come back. I'll go down in a blaze before I let this lifestyle end.

No comments:

Post a Comment