Monday, April 25, 2011

A Disfuntional Diary of India - Varinasi: Day 7

Another early morning. I went back up to the rooftop to handwash my clothes in the pre-mature sunlight. Then I read until Jon came up. By that time there were two monkeys up there, relaxing fairly close to me. They didn't appreciate  Jon taking pictures of them and chased us off the roof. We went out into the already busy streets in search of food, water, and a bank. About a kilometer into the walk we were joined by Justin. The three of us spent the morning exploring, taking photos and video of the chemisty of common life in a crazy city. By mid day my stomach started playing the drums again so I escaped the hustle of the crowded streets and found my peace back on the rooftop. In a rude city such as this, solitude is the most beautiful thing. I can't remember a time in my life when it felt so good to be alone. Surrounded by old, unkept architecture and nothing else but the sun and the occasional monkey dropping in to see what's up. It's always been the simple things and I don't think that will ever change for me.

3:30 found me looking for the Zee restaurant with Jon. He'd heard that the proprieter made amazing veg burgers for a good price and he was not mistaken. Once again we found Justin on our way. He too had discovered a great place to sit and socialize that searved powerful bang lassis. On our way back from the restaurant I stopped in to give it try.
Now it's 11:30pm and I feel like I've been awake for days. I can't fully explain what makes the hours run slower here but some decent things happened in those hours that seemed most significant in the grips of a bang lassi haze. In Jon's struggle to get money from his bank, we were guided to the Vishnu Silk House, the only business in town with a debit and credit card machine. We were walked into an ally of Indian gentlemen in white robes, sitting in front of a gate. Jon explained his case and of course, a purchase would have to be made before he could withdraw up to 5,000 rupees for cashback. We went into the "Saree" room to sit and talk real shit. That's when the bang lassi began to kick the walls down on my reality and I was ready to listen to the warm talking Mr. Puja. He turned out to be one of the most genuine salemen I've ever met. He would have schooled the shit out of all those guys from GlennGary GlennRoss and he could do it with ease because he was in love with his own family product and it was ligit. He invited us to his guest house to checkout the bar on the roof. It turned out to be the highest roof in the city and it overlooked the Ganges River and the night ceremony taking place there on the banks at the ghats.
After the purchase of some quality silk and a stop for Jon's own bang lassi we were there, high on the rooftop of the Puja G.H., drinking bottomless cups of chai and breathing in the dense night air of celebrated death.

Read Day 8

No comments:

Post a Comment