Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Disfunctional Diary of India - Kaza (return) to Recong Peo: DAY 32

Back to 97% health. We joined the two Israelis we met the day before and had an Israeli breakfast out in the front yard of Jamaica's place. We had a good hug out with the memorable man Jamaica and were on the road by 9:30, hoping to make it to Rampur by dark, but doubting it. We rode harder and faster than normal, stopping once for cookies n water. As we rolled back through Recong Peo I noticed that the front wheel well of my bike had cracked and was about to fall off. It needed to be welded right away. I found a mechanic shop that was buzzing like a hive while Jon found an internet spot. I hung out there at that shop for over an hour, comparing my dirty hands to theirs. They spoke no English whatsoever, but there was a level of mutual respect that was evident in our similar appearances. The weld job was only 100 rupees. When I met up with Jon it was 5:00pm and the sky was about to unload some mad rain. We decided to shut 'er down and stay the night at the same guest house we had found before. The room was exactly how we left it. We smoked our last joint of charas and then tried to place an order at the kitchen. It was an awkward disaster. After the lousy dinner we planned our next day, played a game of chess, wrote and hit the bed.
I had this day chalked up as one of our least positive days on the road, but looking back on it now I gotta laugh. All setbacks aside, we were still free and on the move. That's not something a lot of people can say honestly. And it makes me think hard. When one starts taking the great simplicities for granted, it's time for a soulful uppercut.

Read Day 33

No comments:

Post a Comment