Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Disfunctional Diary of India- Day 47: The last 24 (or 48 ) hours


We were both on a natural high after such a humbling experience with the fellas in Karala, and because of that I'm having a hard time in accurately remembering what we did on this last day (it may have even been 2 days). We had spent the previous night back at the Namaskar hotel and walked to a ritzy movie theater to see 'The Hangover part 2'. The theater was impressive. The movie was a let down. When it was over we ran through a hard rain back to the hotel. Maybe I was hit by lightning, but for some strange reason I don't have much recollection of today's events, other than waiting to meet a famous tattoo artist on a three wheeler outside of a restaurant. He never showed up, and then we almost missed our train to the border, where we would cross into Nepal. It was the first air conditioned train we'd been on and as it zoomed past the farmlands the kids would throw rocks at the windows. I was reading, leaning my head on one that was hit and smashed on the outer pane. How could I forget that.
Next thing I knew, we were on a cramped bus with a leaky roof, eating seasoned cucumbers and enjoying the damp air of a dusty Nepali sunset.

One of my greatest accomplishments on this journey was the writing pursuit of this diary, which I successfully kept up with. Or maybe it was the diary that kept up with me. Hmmm.
Although my time in India was brief, it was a breath of something underrated, something incredible hidden behind a delicate curtain of misunderstanding and dirt. I entered the country without expectations and left with an awareness. A brand new feeling for life that hasn't faded and, if anything, it's still building. There are certain drugs that make the realistic world seem unrealistic. People use them to escape a time and place they don't want to deal with or more proactively, they use them to see outside the box and find a way to rise above it. But India is a drug in itself that makes an already unrealistic environment seem more realistic and easier for foreigners to grasp. It's definitely not for everyone. In fact, to fully embrace it one must let themselves go and check things like time, patience and sophistication at the door. They're not used much here. And it won't take long for this one country to change your perception about the rest of the world. In my case it took less than two months. Now that I'm removed from it I know that there's even more waiting to be discovered behind that fucked up curtain. Until then, Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment