Tuesday, April 28, 2009

While walkin' through Mount Pleasant C n' C

…. On separate occasions I’ve seen the ghost of a fire man, I heard children laughing, and I smelled the distinct aroma of birthday candles. It wasn’t the body burning in the crematorium with the door open, but  I saw that too. Different kind of smell.  But it’s all relative and pretty self=explanatory. It’s a cemetery, where dead people are buried. Some of em’ are at rest and glad to be there, while others are still pissed off about something they forgot to do.  Some, I think, just want to be seen. Why should things be any different on the other side, apart from all the pain-free amazing-ness.

The squirrels in the cemetery are above average on all fronts. They make up a very elite and intelligent mafia and nobody touches them, because nobody knows anything. This might sound like a conspiracy and I wish I could prove more but all I can really disclose is that they know how to read. They hide their stash of nuts and other paraphernalia at the base of certain tombstones and then they remember the names written on them.  I’ve seen it. It’s astonishing. They got that place monopolized. Don’t underestimate them.

Discovering weird shit like this makes me hungry for new life, the way I used to be in Vancouver. I keep walking, looking for side roads I’ve never been down. I haven't been this glad to lack the use of a car before. And now I go out more than ever.

I’ve been taking the streets a lot these days. It’s a combination of the weather mixed with the fact that I know I likely won’t enjoy a true Canadian summer for a few years to come, so with that in mind, I’ll walk anywhere, I’ll hoof it through a storm, like last Saturday, as long as I’ve got music on my side. I’ll say “yes” to those innocent offerings from people that I’m not sure if they mean it. I’ll roll with whatever’s happening, rather than dwell on what else is goin’ on elsewhere. I’ll make sure the empty spaces on the calendar from April to August are filled with something worth reading. Then I’ll keep it going further. And further.


“one day I just started workin’ hard and I forgot to stop”         - Shad

No comments:

Post a Comment