Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Disfunctional Diary of India - New Delhi to Chandigarh: Day 24

I haven't been this stoked and butterflied about something since I went skydiving. But skydiving was a matter of minutes n' seconds. This is 20 days of serious riding on high performance machinery. Lots of opportunity to fuck up huge. Our plan was to get the bikes early and be out of town before Monday morning traffic could swallow us, but because we got next to nothing accomplished yesterday we didn't get to Tony's bike shop until 2:00 in the afternoon, and then we had to hire a tuk-tuk to lead us out of the hectic city, which should have taken about ten minutes but took us over an hour because I stalled my bike on a turn and we lost the sneaky bugger. I've never been a religious man but before I even started the bike up I said a quick prayer to my Mom, the Sun, Buddha, Chris Farley, Ginesh and God. Although I only believe in a few of those names I felt I had to cover all the bases. I was relieved once we finally got on the highway and I felt pretty comfortable on the Enfield but still not 100% with shifting in stop n' go situations. I stalled the bike about 5 times today. We stopped in Chandigarh when it got dark and tried not to lose our minds looking for a cheap place to stay. We had driven 268km and were tired and very hungry. The cheapest place was the Vikrant Hotel for 650 Rupees ( about $14.00, which would be the most expensive lodging we would pay for during the whole trip). This motivated us to treat ourselves to a classy meal at a somewhat classy restaurant. We walked in to Sindhi Sweets and sat down to realize how haggard we were in appearance compared to the families eating near us. I still dream about the food there sometimes.
Once back at our hotel we smoked charas out by our bikes until the police rolled up to say hello and goodnight. And that's what we did.

Read Day 25

No comments:

Post a Comment