Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Disfunctional Diary of India - On the Train (Part 2): Day 22

I didn't sleep very long but I slept well. We thought we were closing in on the end of our 26 hour train ride but we haven't been in this country long enough to realize that trains, like everything else, travel on their own time at it's own speed. This morning my special Indian muse lady bought Jon n' I tea and samosas and finally started talking, but only in Hindi. I figured out what I liked so much about her; She had a bigger heart and an older soul than all of us put together. Towards the last length of the ride she invited me to play a game with her and her husband. It was a simple old  game using 5 rocks that had been collected during one of the stops in the middle of nowhere. A schoolyard game of  hand-eye coordination that she was quite good at and I was surprisingly brutal and embarrassed about. By the time the train rolled into the station I was in proud admiration of them both. I don't know any better way to say it. She shook my hand to say goodbye and then laid her hands on my messy head and said a blessing. And that was it. Back to the reality of another big city - New Delhi.
Jon n' I broke free of the malarkey, determined to find our way to Paharganj district by any means necessary. At the advice of the Russian/German couple we went to the Namaskar Hotel, rented a room, dropped our bags off and took the metro to Tony's Bike Shop to rent 2 Royal Enfield motorcycles for our journey north. We grabbed some Gatorade on the way which helped us get through the paperwork faster. Then we arranged to meet the next day for a crash course with Tony's mechanics. That night I spent an hour on the internet, reading and watching videos of how to ride a proper motorbike.

Read Day 23

No comments:

Post a Comment