Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Disfunctional Diary of India - On the Train: Day 21

We stepped on board an already crowded train and had to boot two meat heads who were sleeping in our seats. As soon as I sat down I met the eyes of a beautiful Indian woman wearing a traditional shawl with colors that matched her perfect complexion and eyes. Her beauty was not rooted in her appearance, but more-so in her movement. The woman had kinetic energy. We exchanged smiles, sitting across from each other and after that I found it hard to look away. I had to know more about her and I knew that I would slowly learn without ever asking a question. Every move she made opened another page of her story and for the first time in many years I felt confidently intuitive enough to believe what I was seeing correctly. She was in her early thirties and had never bore a child. She had the tough hands and dark skin of a hard worker, yet a delicateness remained on her face as if she'd been spoiled by a certain wealth, something beyond money. It was obvious that she had been and probably still was adored by many men. She had the strength of experience in her facial expressions, but when she looked into my eyes for a second time I saw the innocent curiosity. She had never been with a white guy before. I hadn't really noticed her husband lounged out and unaware beside her until she started to study my features and then compare them to his. She glanced at my arms n' legs and then felt his. She looked at my unkempt hair and then ran her fingers through his. I was fascinated by her fascination. Some time went by and I fell asleep in my middle bunk, feeling a rare connection to a woman I had no business or desire for. When I woke up from the nap she was watching me. She had changed into a dance of autumn colored sairees and sashes. We still hadn't spoken a word to each other. I read for a while and then began writing about her. She and her husband started talking about me in Hindi language. I knew. They took a picture of me and I wondered if they knew I was writing about them. Damn it was a long ass train ride. I guess when you spend this much time with total strangers of glaringly different cultures, this kind of interesting shit can happen.

Read Day 22

No comments:

Post a Comment